Sunday, February 24, 2013

Candidate's Statement: Carl Piedmont

Carl Piedmont
At-large candidate for the Oyster River School Board

Hello! I am Carl Piedmont, a Madbury resident running for your School Board. My wife Amy and I have four great children: Meagan, 21 years, resides in Texas, Austin attends Trinity International University on an athletic scholarship, Alfred is in 8th grade at the Middle School, and Samantha is in 4th grade at Moharimet. Since moving here over two years ago, my family has enjoyed Oyster River greatly.

My parents were teachers and I value public education tremendously. After researching New Hampshire school districts, I found that Oyster River would offer my children many benefits. Growing up in a small, Indiana college-town, I also sought a similar setting for my family. Ultimately, we chose Oyster River for its educational reputation.

To remain on top, Oyster River cannot rest on its laurels. We need to face the challenges of declining enrollment and global competition. Because two of my children still have years of schooling ahead, I have ‘skin in this game’ and a deep vested interest.  I decided serving on the Board is a great way to contribute to our children’s future success.

I consider myself to be fair, a good listener and, above all, 100% dedicated to what I do.  I support safe, drug-free schools, academic excellence, fiscal responsibility, and fresh ideas. Serving cannot be taken lightly and requires doing what is best for all stakeholders: teachers, staff, parents, community members, and, most importantly, our students…they are our future!

As a School Board Member, I will try to...

  • Promote school safety and initiatives to keep drugs and alcohol out of our schools
  • Work with the Oyster River community to deliver a long-term strategic plan
  • Raise student enrollment by attracting more families into Oyster River
  • Be fiscally responsible in decision-making and the budget process
  • Support programs that raise student opportunities inside and outside the classroom

My Background

  • Work currently as a Northeast Sales Manager for Poseidon Barge
  • Extensive restaurant industry experience
  • 20+ years coaching with Police Athletic League and intramurals
  • Volunteer at Meals-on-Wheels and Forks of the Wabash Historical Society
  • Father of four children ranging in ages from 10 to 21 years old
  • Graduated from Ball State, Muncie, Indiana with a major in Criminal Justice and minor in Business
  • Raised by teachers and experienced at student teaching

Relevant Skills

  • Fresh viewpoints and innovative ideas to support students and the community
  • Budget preparation and financial analysis
  • Communication skills including good listening
  • Negotiation acumen to reach reasonable agreements
  • Volunteerism including coaching and serving in the community

Thank you and please remember to vote on March 12th!

Carl Piedmont
www.carlpiedmont.com

No comments:

Post a Comment