Monday, February 18, 2013

Candidate's Statement: Kenny Rotner

Editor's note: the following is a statement by Kenny Rotner, candidate for School Board. 

Our publication of this statement does not constitute an endorsement; rather it is posted here as a public service, in order that the voters of the District may be fully informed before making their choices on Election Day.

We welcome all candidates to send in a statement; we are happy to publish any that we receive.

--Tom Bebbington


My name is Kenny Rotner and I am very pleased to be running for one of the at-large seats on the ORCSD School Board.



Background and Qualifications:

My wife, Tracy Schroeder and I moved to Durham in 1986. A major factor in our choosing Durham was the reputation of the ORCSD. I have worked as a family doctor in this area for these past 26 years, first at Durham Family Health (a practice that I started as a solo physician) and now at Woodbury Family Practice. Tracy and I are now “empty nesters” except for our ball and stick loving Golden Retriever, Casey. Our daughter Emma attended the Oyster River Schools from kindergarten through her High School graduation in June, 2012. Her experience throughout her years in the ORCSD has led her to be the critical reader, writer and thinker she is today. After many years of volunteering and being involved, I find myself with the time and energy to contribute to our schools in a different way.

As a physician, I am acutely aware of the financial difficulties faced by many in our area and how those strains limit the options open to some people. I wholeheartedly endorse the recent efforts taken by Dr. Morse and the School Board to contain spending and expect that process to continue. Excellent schools are important, but they must also be affordable. I commend the current School Board for achieving great savings through the re-commissioning of our High School as well as the early retirement incentives that were offered and accepted by some of our current staff

I am currently serving on a Future Search Steering Committee that was put together by our Superintendent with the purpose of deriving a community supported Strategic Plan for our school district. I believe that finally having a working Strategic Plan in place will take our schools to that next level while allocating our tax dollars in a prudent manner.

Beliefs:

I am a firm believer in the importance of a strong public education system. Day by day, the world becomes more complicated and competitive, and only through quality public schools will the children in our society be able to play meaningful roles, however each individual defines that, in this changing world. A solid public education is the necessary foundation our children need to keep our country strong as well as empowering them to take on any challenges they so desire. If I am so fortunate to be on the School Board, I will always be an advocate for a strong public education system.

That being said, the ORCSD faces many challenges now and in the near future. As good as I think our schools are, I certainly believe that they can and must be better. As a district, we face declining enrollments in the coming years. Difficult decisions will need to be made in order to address this reality. Balancing the number of students at our two elementary schools will also need a feasible and acceptable solution.

We are fortunate to live in this supportive community and privileged to have such great staff in our schools. Most of all, we are fortunate to have such special children, no matter what their level of academic skill is or their unique needs may be. We must continue to see that all of the students in the ORCSD reach their full potential.

I hope that I can count on your support on Election Day so that I may participate in the effort to make our high level schools even better. I pledge to be fair, honest and open and will always listen to the many voices in our community. Thank you for your consideration of my candidacy.

2 comments:

  1. I think if you work on it you can get the typeface even smaller, Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dean: It was an eye test. Glad you passed.

    --Tom

    ReplyDelete