Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Opinion: Arts and Music at Oyster River

I've tried to avoid expressing personal opinion on this blog, but recent public statements have angered me enough to set the record straight.

If somebody tells you that my wife, Megan Turnbull, is seeking or desires to cut arts and music from Oyster River schools, then that person is a liar. Both Megan and I feel strongly that development of music curriculum at Oyster River should be supported, nurtured, and expanded. Students should have a path to participate in ensemble music all the way through 12th grade and the schools should encourage students to stay on that path. This is my opinion, I've said this before during school board public comment, and my wife, a school board member, agrees with me 100% on promoting, not cutting, music at Oyster River.

Furthermore, I've met and spoken with most of the current school board members. I would be extremely surprised to learn that any of them support cutting music or the arts at Oyster River. I can't and won't speak for them, but I would question the veracity of any statement and the motivation of any person claiming the school board is seeking to cut arts or music at Oyster River.

Brian Turnbull
Durham

P.S. Neither of us are Teaparty members.

No comments:

Post a Comment