Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fosters Opinion: To those without disabilities

Letter to the Fosters Editor detailing intolerance in the Market Basket parking lot:

To those without disabilities

To the editor: Please don't look at us as if we were something from out of space! We are people too, and we are actually physically challenged.

The other day I went to Market Basket and there were no handicap parking available. So the next thing for me to do was to take up two parking spaces to be able to lower my scooter out of my van. Upon doing so a gentleman not so happy with what I had done preceded to mumble and complain about this. Not being happy I told him there were no spaces available for me to lower my scooter out of.

Another sore spot is when people park next to a handicapped vehicle and the sign on the door of that vehicle says do not park within 8 feet of this vehicle, and they park as close as they can. That is just pure ignorance!

Sue Bacon
Durham

There is a public parking lot with two handicap spaces below my workplace window. I've observed insensitivity and hostility to physically challenged individuals similar to that described in Ms. Bacon's letter. The popular idiom, "Try walking a mile in their shoes" applies — seek to understand before you criticize.

No comments:

Post a Comment