Saturday, March 5, 2011

Post from Jim Kach


I would like to thank Matt Pappas, who not only put together the candidate’s forum at the high school yesterday, but also spoke on behalf of a group of teachers who appeared at the School Board Meeting that night to present a letter to the board.

I had offered an idea at a previous meeting that I honestly felt would be in the best interests of all members of our education community.   I suggested hiring an interim principal for the High School in order to let the new superintendent be involved with the hiring of a principal with whom he or she would be working closely.  My sole purpose was to create the best possible working relationship between those two people for the benefit of the rest of the administrators, as well as the staff and students.

I was out voted at that meeting by the rest of the board, and a search committee was started.  I support the board’s decision.

Nevertheless, a letter was presented to the board signed by sixty some staff members pointing out the benefits, based on past experiences, of hiring a permanent principal now.  The letter was polite, informative and graciously received.  Although the matter was moot, since the vote had been taken to proceed with the search for a permanent principal, I very much wish to thank those teachers who came out on a cold winter night to let their views be known.  I hope that this can be the beginning of honest, forthright communication between the board and the education professionals that serve our community so well.

Sincerely,
Jim Kach

1 comment:

  1. Matt Pappas is to be commended for this effort.
    My only question is why were the teachers under the impression that the board was considering an interim principal? The Board had decided two weeks prior to move ahead with the search.
    This lack of open communication was evident when the petition was presented, and I applaud the board for encouraging open communication in the future to prevent such misunderstanding.
    The teachers were right in their belief that they need a permanent principal now.
    Troubling to me is why this blatent lack of understanding and communication took place.

    I watched from my living room as David Taylor wrongly accused the board leaders of not communicating with Howard. It was a blatent misrepresentation of the workign relationship between the board leaders and Howard.
    Yet, it was believed and applauded.
    This continued mis-representation and lack of communication has to stop, and I hope that with a new board this will be possible.
    Thank you to the teachers who stepped forward to sign this petition. Though it was not necessary, it was a strong showing of the power of unity and I hope to see more of this in the future.

    ReplyDelete