Monday, February 14, 2011

A Warning

I have seen many comments tonight that are disrespectful, accusatory, and downright mean. I want to encourage those that post here to remain informed, inquisitive, respectful, and polite.

The blog was created as a place to share concerns and ideas about the district. It is not a place for blaming others with ignorant comments and mudslinging behind an anonymous veil. If this continues, I will be forced to remove the ability to post anonymously.

Please keep the discussions respectful. We are a small and dedicated community. I want to encourage thoughtful debate and information sharing.

Thank you.

Seth Fiermonti

UPDATE: This morning, I am truly saddened by the tone on the blog.  Yes...these comments have happened in the past and it seemed to me that thoughtful debate overshadowed it in most cases.  However, last night was not the only deciding factor.

As the blog has become more aware in the community, an increasing number of people have written to me to remove anonymous comments.  These include people I know as well as people I don't.  For the anonymous comment that said I put up the warning because my friends got attacked...that is NOT TRUE.  In fact, a teacher emailed me asking to remove the comments last month.

We live in a well educated and great community yet people who take a side (no matter what it is) seem to be vilified and called out for actually taking a stand.  Someone very close to me said recently that walking down the middle of the road will only get you run over.  However, here, it seems that is not true.

So, while I hoped that allowing anonymous comments would allow people who are fearful of retribution to speak freely, it has also allowed those that are not respectful and seem to forget that the individuals who are called out are educators of our children, volunteers in the district, and parents and friends in this community.

Moving forward, you will need to either state your name/email when posting, register as a user, or use a login from another source such as Google, OpenID, or AOL Instant Messenger.

8 comments:

  1. Seth - I have asked for a while to eliminate the anonymous posting option. The ability for people to throw assumptions and accusations out and not stand behind their words is not helpful and shameful.

    I would like to see a real, civil discussion about the issues impacting ORCSD. To those who feel they are going to feel retribution, to me that is very unfortunate. I do not know how to fix that but I think we need to start holding people accountable for the words they put on this blog.

    David Proulx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth,

    WE at the HS just had a workshop on bullying conducted by a nationally regarded professor at UNH. Bullying takes all forms including, but not limited to anonymous attacks on someone's character on the internet, social media and other online sites.

    This blog has a LONG history of anonymous personal attacks - including some aimed at teachers, secretaries and administrators at the four schools in the district. It is wrong and it needs to stop.

    This blog perpetuates bullying and it is against the law if it is among students so why do we allow it among adults? It is teaching our children that it is ok to act this way in real life when in fact it is agaisnt the law.

    Please, either take down the veil of anonymity or take down the blog entirely. It does no good to keep it going in its present state.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting.

    Visitors on the blog make vicious comments while they attack teachers, guidance councelors, school secretaries but when they attack friends of this blog's operator, a warning goes up and threats to shut down the blog are made.

    Hmmm. Double standard?

    Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seth,
    Although the anonymous postings have clearly been abused, I still think that there is some benefit to them. Your previous post that it allows teachers to contribute when they otherwise would not is a good one. I also think that a lot of other valid issues are made that otherwise would not be posted. But the nastiness has clearly gone too far, as it has at times in the past. Not sure what the answer it, but thanks for taking it seriously.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Laura. This morning, I am truly saddened by the tone on the blog. Yes...these comments have happened in the past and it seemed to me that thoughtful debate overshadowed it in most cases. However, last night was not the only deciding factor.

    As the blog has become more aware in the community, an increasing number of people have written to me to remove anonymous comments. These include people I know as well as people I don't. For the anonymous comment that said I put up the warning because my friends got attacked...that is NOT TRUE. In fact, a teacher emailed me asking to remove the comments last month.

    We live in a well educated and great community yet people who take a side (no matter what it is) seem to be vilified and called out for actually taking a stand. Someone very close to me said recently that walking down the middle of the road will only get you run over. However, here, it seems that is not true.

    So, while I hoped that allowing anonymous comments would allow people who are fearful of retribution to speak freely, it has also allowed those that are not respectful and seem to forget that the individuals who are called out are educators of our children, volunteers in the district, and parents and friends in this community.

    Moving forward, you will need to either state your name/email when posting, register as a user, or use a login from another source such as Google, OpenID, or AOL Instant Messenger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seth,

    I agree with Laura, posting anonymous has value. Also, the points made above regarding bullying & slander are also valid.

    Hopefully, those that wish to speak without the fear of direct retribution will create a user name to continue their participation.

    Glad to see the blog continue despite the lack of civility that has been present this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said, Seth. I will always post using my name because I have nothing to lose. My son has graduated from Oyster River High School long ago (2003) and the friends that I have made through my activity in ORYAA and Oyster River Phantoms soccer will always be with me. On the other hand, I truly sympathize with parents of children in the system, who, for a variety of reasons, feels that being outspoken will only hurt the educational experience of their children. Mind you, this doesn’t actually have to be the case; parents only need to think it to be so.
    Today, I am running for the Madbury representative seat on the ORCSD Board. I fully expect that I may be attacked, slandered, and maligned. I have chosen to expose myself to this by entering this arena. In the long run, if I am even marginally successful in breaking down the wall that seems to exist between the professional educational establishment and the elected board that governs them, I will have been successful and it will have been worth it. So, perhaps there are those who can only express themselves from behind the veil of anonymity. If that be the case, then let them speak.
    I would simply like to say to the community at large, the talented and dedicated educational professionals we are fortunate to have in our district and all the other shareholders in this process that we need to begin building a bridge to span the gulf that separates us, and construction must begin on both sides of that gulf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your thoughful consideration Seth!

    ReplyDelete