Sunday, June 13, 2010

Suggestion to Superintendent Colter to Improve Communication

On Friday, June 11, 2010, I sent a letter to Superintendent Colter and copied the School Board suggesting the Superintendent issue a monthly letter to the Oyster River community (see full text of letter below).

That same day I was happy to hear back from Mr. Colter who offered to meet to discuss my suggestion. I view this as positive step towards increased District communication.

***

Dear Mr. Colter:


In my own effort to see how our District can improve communication, I searched through available correspondence on the ORCSD web site. The most recent correspondence I found was a January 2010 Board Newsletter addressing, primarily, the upcoming warrant articles and the 2010 Report of the District (containing mostly statistics/data). Besides these documents, I found no letters from your office to the greater Oyster River community.


I have a suggestion, and forgive my boldness. Would you please start issuing a monthly letter via the ORCSD web site and to subscribers on a specific listserv to the Oyster River Community? The monthly letter would address the following:

* Superintendent's thoughts on the educational vision for our District

* Progress on major educational, operational, and other program initiatives

* Profiles on outstanding students from each school

* Special awards/recognition of teachers/staff

* Anything else you think appropriate (e.g., other District activities, major educational policies from the State level, etc.)


I realize that many items in this monthly letter may be redundant with what you report during regular Board meetings. However, I think a monthly newsletter would be extremely helpful, especially to inform the vast majority of community members who do not watch/attend Board meetings.


If you would like, I and other community members could help craft the format of the letter in greater detail. I may be reached via e-mail (XXX@XXXX) or phone (XXX-XXXX) to set up a meeting to pursue this in detail.


At the May 19, 2010 School Board meeting, I mentioned how I wish to see the Board instill policy and practice that will ensure that our District staff is successful. Although I was referring to fiscal practices, I feel this statement applies to your office's communication as well. Our children's education is on the line and we need to strive for more open communication. Thank you for your time.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks Stefanie!

    I did chat with Howard Colter yesterday. He expressed a willingness to improve communication and extended an open offer to meet directly with community members to discuss his vision for our district.

    We also have a face-to-face meeting set up for June 29th to discuss my suggestion and the broader context of how to improve district communication. He also invited Meredith Nadeau and the School Board's Communication Committee members (O'Quinn, Rief, and Wright) to attend.

    My hope is that Mr. Colter will issue a monthly letter to the community and help put in motion a plan to improve the District's two-way communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something needs to change with communication and clearly an improvement!

    ReplyDelete