Thursday, June 10, 2010

From Kim Clark - Former Board Chair

I am sure some will roll their eyes that I am making a statement, so if that is the case, commence with the eye roll now.

I am deeply saddened by the recent occurrences on the School Board.  It is very difficult to know just how challenging the task of a Board member is until you actually find yourself sitting in that hot seat every other Wednesday night.  I hope we all continually strive to understand a Board member is constantly trying to balance and prioritize both public and non-public information to make the best decisions they are capable of, and I believe we all need to support those willing to volunteer their time even when we disagree with their positions and opinions.  This doesn’t mean we should stop voicing our interests and concerns given that the Board is intended to be an extension of us, the voters, and they can’t do their job without knowing what we want.

Inexperience is nothing new to this School Board or any Oyster River Cooperative School Board that has come before it.  I hope that we can get over that label and certainly stop using it as an excuse for why things are the way they are.  I personally believe that diversity across the members, critical thinkers and fresh ideas are far more important than experience for a School Board to be effective and progressive, especially today.

In regards to the e-mails, in my experience on the Board we often did seek “legal opinion”.  The Board can meet and vote as to whether or not to release a “legal opinion”.  I would like to know when the Board met, discussed and voted on this issue.  I would like to know what the vote was.  This all should be public record.

If the Board did not meet to discuss the release or non-release of these e-mails, and have not voted, then I am curious as to why Superintendent Colter would make the statement in yesterday’s Foster’s that this had indeed occurred.  This distinction will be important to clarify, in order to prevent the public from making assumptions.

I also am curious about whether the emails in question came from the district attorney or the New Hampshire School Board Association, because there is a big difference between the two.  I would point out that an “opinion” from the New Hampshire School Board Association is different than a “legal opinion” from an attorney.  At the bottom of each e-mail from the NHSBA it specifically states “”The information provided here does not establish an attorney client relationship”, so is not subject to the rules governing attorney client privilege.

Also, at the bottom of each e-mail from the school district it states, “The right to know law provides that most e-mail communications, to or from school district employees regarding the business of the school district, are government records available to the public upon request.” 

I am sure some will say releasing the e-mails will only cause more of a problem. I don’t agree, and in my past Board experience, not being open with the public and not communication effectively with the public is what seems to be the core driver behind many of the Board’s issues.  The assumption of what may be in the e-mails, in my opinion, is worse than what may be in those e-mails.

I also hope the assertion of “back room deals” will stop immediately or be backed up with some kind of evidence.  My sense is there were none, except in the imagination of some.  My evidence is that I called a School Board Representative, and asked, as all citizens have a right to do.  Maybe even more to the point; it is perfectly legal for Board members to discuss issues outside of Board meetings as long as they don’t have a quorum or sequential communication on a specific topic.  As stated from the NH School board association and the training guide “Becoming a better board member.”
  1. Is a board member allowed to discuss agenda items with one other board member outside of a meeting?

1.  Yes, a board member is allowed to discuss agenda items with another board member outside of a meeting.  So long as a quorum is not involved in the actual discussion, the discussion does not constitute a meeting with the definition of “meeting” under RSA 91-A:2.  However, there are a few caveats.
 
RSA 91-A:2-a, II states:  “Communications outside a meeting, including, but not limited to, sequential communications among members of a public body, shall not be used to circumvent the spirit and purpose of this chapter as expressed in RSA 91-A:1.”

Thus, it would be ill-advised and likely contrary to the provisions of the Right to Know law to consult with board member outside of a meeting, then to immediately consult with a second board member about the same topic or item, and then to immediately consult with a third board about the same topic, and so forth.  These would fit within the meaning of “sequential communication” and would likely violate the Right to Know law.
 These accusations not supported with hard facts are dangerous, and this recent situation proves this.

Our newest members of the Board, as well as those who have been serving for some time, all care about making our district greater than it is.  Let us support them in moving ahead, and stop the attacks on board members who give countless hours to their community.

Of most importance, I hope our teachers are able to finish off this school year knowing that most in the community support all that they do and continue to believe we have a great school district.

Thank you,

Kim Clark

15 comments:

  1. Very nicely put, Kim. I enjoy seeing your posts- it gives me some nice perspective to hear thoughts from a current board member.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I meant to write former board member. My mistake... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there is anyone who has created more acrimony and has been more destructive to positive change in our teaching and learning communities than Kim and Doug Clark. Just look at the actions of both of them from their positions on the school board and town council over the past year. Speaking of back room deals...please look in the mirror

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anon, Ms. Clark just asked for the attacks to stop. I echo this request. Public servants will not make all constituants happy, especially those promoting continued growth and improvement.
    To charge "back room deals" is just plain ignorant, and slimy. I have looked at the actions of Ms. Clark and she has always conducted herself with dignity and respect. I do not watch Durham town meeting, but would assume if Mr. Clark is up to any shinanigans, the public would have heard of such charges. Ms. Clark provided proof in her note to the public, used her name, and continues to state support for both teachers and board members. How dare anyone volly back with such viscious, unfounded attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about Mr. Clark because I'm not a Durham resident. But the earlier entry is wrong about Kim Clark. Kim Clark is an active volunteer in the schools and is working to keep the Oyster River kids safe. Unlike others in the community, her only agenda is what is best for kids. And her experience as an educator gives her a valuable perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch!

    Obviously it is stressful for me to read about a community member who harbors so much hostility and resentment towards my wife and me.

    At the risk of sounding defensive, let me just make a couple of points:

    1. I didn't run for the Town Council because of a personal agenda, I ran because I was brought up to believe that we all have an obligation to give as much as we receive. I look at my Council role as a way to give back, and my job is to be a representative of the residents and voters of Durham. I strive to be responsive to their concerns, and find a way to better meet their needs. Obviously I am not representing your concerns, and for that I apologize. Based on your note, I can not tell what it is that you would do to create positive change, but truly am interested in hearing your ideas.

    2. The Resolution I took to the Council came after I was approached by literally hundreds of our residents who were looking for a voice. As one resident so eloquently stated at the Board's last meeting, the residents of our district are "hopping mad". Frankly, the resolution was toned way down if you were to compare it to what many of our residents were requesting, and I view it as the third attempt over the past 18 months that the Town Council (not Doug Clark) has made to establish a respectful dialogue with the School Board.

    I get the sense that you are one of those who think that anyone who questions the excellence of our schools, administrators or teachers is inhibiting positive change. This is where I personally disagree. I am more than willing to listen to how you believe we should deliver sustainable positive change, and I encourage you to make this your message, and not continue to attack the few who have enough stamina to actually volunteer for this abuse.

    As a final note, speaking as resident, taxpayer and parent of two kids in our district, let me share what I think the biggest obstacle to positive change is ... our Superintendent. Simply put, we need a leader who is a visionary and able to articulate and implement a strategy that ensures our schools are as excellent as we want them to be and relevant to the needs of today's students preparing for tomorrow's world. Some people on this blog have said that our current leader has a vision, but I've never heard it and I really am paying attention. If I were to hear a vision and strategy from him that I can believe in, I assure you I would be one of his biggest supporters. As much as I try, I just don't understand what his agenda is.

    The world is changing and I see a more and more pressing need for a comprehensive long term strategic plan that assesses all of our options.

    If you haven't, I recommend we all read the series of articles written by John Shea and pusblished in Fosters. I personally believe this is the kind of vision and leadership Oyster River should embrace and run with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Doug Clark. There are many people here who appreciate the fact that you are able and willing to think outside of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The attacks sound like a diversion. Don't fall for it. Until the attackers are willing to sign their name and provide their proof, they are a waste of our time. Just sign me, the kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Kim and Doug Clark for all the time you have volunteered in our community. I have to admit that I didn't like Kim giving up on the board because I appreciated her questions. She wasn't afraid to speak out and have a different opinion from others on the board. It was refreshing! When Kim was on the board, it seemed that Jennifer R. supported many of the same issues that Kim supported. Jennifer wasn't afraid to speak out against Joanne P. and some of the others. Since Kim has left, she appears to be modeling herself after Joanne P. I think she needs to to think for herself and stop attacking Henry. When Kim left the board in a dramatic flair, attacking the Superintendent, she really became a hero. It's too bad she didn't hang in there long enough to fire him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Doug for a very thoughtful comment! Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can we get back to the point of the letter above and see if we can find out why the e-mails are remaining confidential?

    ReplyDelete
  12. When did the Board vote to keep the letter confidential? Mr. Colter alluded in the Foster's article that the Board decided to make it confidential.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Kim and Doug for your honest and dedicated service. Attacks from anonymous posters should be disregarded - they likely do not know you and disagree with your views so it is easy for them to take pot shots in an attempt to discredit you. Most people I talk to are fed up with the lack of leadership at the top levels of the SAU. There needs to be accountability and a real strategic plan. I concur with you that there is no apparent vision from the district and without one we risk providing educational services that may not best prepare our children for their next step in life. We also run the risk of wasting valuable resources that we all work hard to pay for. If there is a vision shouldn't we all be privy to it?

    It seems we are at a critical juncture in our school district and I applaud your and Kim's efforts to move us ahead. I appreciate the efforts by the Town of Durham to question how our tax dollars are spent and provide constructive input to the District. I was hoping for a more thoughtful response than what was provided. It is time for full transparency, development of a strategic plan and an honest evaluation of SAU leadership's ability to effectively lead the district in the implementation of the hopefully to be developed strategic plan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Careful Dave, they will attack you next.
    I agree, the attacks are a waste of our time and an insult. If you have a disagreement, state your case with facts not attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate both Kim and Doug Clark's time and efforts as well as their comments made on this blog. I believe the SAU administration has some explaining to do. Somehow I don't think they are held accoubtable?

    ReplyDelete